“I’m looking for success in my songwriting. If that means a major or an independent deal so be it. The end game is to make this a serious living.” – Mark Mathews
Mark Mathews is a talented London based singer-songwriter, with a passion for music that keeps him gigging, touring and busking all around the world. Mark has taken a few moments to chat with us and let us a little deeper into his world.
1. How would you describe the Mark Mathews sound in a 15 second elevator pitch?
Up beat Indie pop with a folk edge. Ryan Adams and Bob Dylan team up to play songs by The Beatles and Oasis.
2. What do you think is the biggest challenge of being an independent artist?
Knowing how to market your music – Who to, where do you do it, how do you do it? It’s confusing
3. Do you write your own songs? If so what is your process for writing songs?
I write all my own material. There is no real process I play guitar and piano every day and sometimes a songs comes to me.
4. We notice that you have a lot of gigs booked. Do you find gigs yourself or do you have a booking agent?
I book everything myself
5. What are your immediate music career goals? (As in the next 1 to 3 years)
I want to be an established songwriter. I want to be releasing my own records that sell well, I want to be writing for other people and for Film and TV. I want to discover my ‘market’ and make a real living from my music and songwriting.
6. What does success look like for you?
Me being free, living in a beach house in California with a beautiful Grand piano in my front room overlooking the sea.
7. Are you looking for an independent or a major label deal?
I’m looking for success in my songwriting. If that means a major or an independent deal so be it. The end game is to make this a serious living.
8. Which company do you use for your digital distribution? Would you recommend them?
CD Baby. I would recommend them from my limited knowledge of others. They seem to offer the best and easiest deal for someone like me.
9. What has been your greatest Mark Mathews live experience so far?
There’s been tons, but headlining Barfly Camden, with a capacity crowd was pretty special.
10. What’s the best compliment that you have received about your music?
That my songs have meant something to someone. That connection still astounds me.
11. Music aside, do you have any dreams that you are yet to achieve?
Live in a beach house in California
12. What is your perfect pizza?
No meat, lots of cheese and pesto
13. What would you say is the weirdest thing about you?
One mans weird is another’s normal – So nothing.
14. Do you believe honesty is the best policy?
15. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
To make people more enlightened which would have the effect of less greed, poverty and hardship. Failing that just drop a bomb on anyone that partakes or watches ITV.
You can also connect with Mark on the following social media channels;